EWTN To Broadcast Mass From Kansas City
Sep 10th, 2008
On Tuesday, October 7, the interior of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception will be seen around the globe on EWTN Global Catholic Network. Producers for Cathedrals Across America selected the Diocese of Kansas City ~ St. Joseph as their next stop for the periodic program. All are welcome to attend an 11 a.m. Mass with Bishop Robert Finn to observe the Feast of the Holy Rosary.
Doug Keck, Senior Vice President of Programming and Production, remarked that the programming highlights sacred places and thriving dioceses.
EWTN President Michael P. Warsaw observed, “Bishop Finn has stated that his primary focus is to help Catholics respond to their baptismal call to holiness. This Mass on the Feast of the Holy Rosary builds on his efforts to promote the rosary; most notably, this past May, when he led a
About the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
In 1833, a French missionary, Father Benedict Roux, arrived with instructions to form a permanent parish. At 11th and Broadway, the community built a log cabin church in 1835, and dedicated it to St. John Francis Regis.
Father Bernard Donnelly was a circuit-riding priest. From 1845 until his death in 1880, Donnelly tirelessly served the local Catholic people. He initiated the building of a permanent brick church on the St. John Francis Regis site in 1857. Donnelly recruited 300 Irish day laborers to cut away the bluffs, level the ground and establish a brick works. The brick yard produced building material for the church that Donnelly consecrated to the Immaculate Conception.
As the population grew, dioceses formed in
Ready for services on Trinity Sunday, 1883, the walls were not yet plastered and temporary windows hurriedly were set into place. Newspapers reported that over 3,000 people attended the services that began at 10:30 a.m. and continued uninterrupted until 3:00 p.m. Because the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception was built on the highest ground in the city -- 250 feet above street level -- the cupola quickly became a civic landmark.
In 1895, the growing community added a carillon of eleven bells. By 1912, local artisans created the Cathedral's stained glass windows, which depict scenes from the life of Christ and other biblical themes.
Bishop Edwin V. O'Hara authorized a renovation in 1955. The interior remodeling simplified the Cathedral's interior. After 74 years of weathering the elements, the Cathedral's copper dome had begun to deteriorate. Bishop John P. Cody created a
Under the leadership of Bishop Raymond J. Boland, the diocese initiated a capital campaign, The Gift of Faith, to improve the Cathedral at the close of the century. With thanksgiving to Our Lord and the people of God of our diocese, the restored and renovated Cathedral was dedicated on Saturday, February 22, 2003.