Safe Environment Programs
What Are Safe Environment Programs?
In 2003, the OCYP (Office of Child and Youth Protection) called for the full implementation of safe environment programs in all dioceses as mandated by the
Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People.
Programs must include the following components:
- A code of conduct for employees and volunteers who work with young people
- Adult education for anyone whose duties include ongoing, unsupervised contact with minors (such as parents, ministers, educators, church personnel, and volunteers in children's programs)
- Adult education should reinforce prevention, identification, and skills for responding to and reporting abuse
- Personal safety programs for children and young people
- Criminal record and background screening of all personnel and volunteers who have regular contact with minors
Safe environment programs may also include the following:
- Methods for outreach to parents, including formal training sessions, independent reading material, videos, and/or information on the diocesan website
- A commitment to incorporate the safe environment program into the long-term, ongoing mission of the diocese